Monday, June 2, 2014

May Wrap-Up & June TBR

Hey everyone! Its been a long time since my last post here and now I'm happy to say that I'm finally back. I've been busy with a lot of things, including summer trips with the family and working on my career. Honestly, I'm currently at a phase wherein I'm constantly weighing up my decisions career-wise. My situation involves making a life-altering decision, which inevitably led me at a crossroads. I'm having a hard time choosing which path the take cause I have so many factors to consider. And being an over-thinker that I am, doesn't help at all. I know that this is part of growing up and being an adult, but, as I have always prayed for, whatever happens, may it happen in my favor. 

Anyway, let's move on ahead to lighter topics! Last month, I was able to get out of a reading slump and managed to finish a total of nine books. I chalk it up to Murakami's South Of the Border novel, which made me fall in love with reading all over again.

South of the Border West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami
Just One Day - Gayle Foreman
Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins
Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins
We Were Liars - E. Lockhart
Rosemary Beach trilogy (Fallen Too Far, Never Too Far, Forever Too Far) - Abbi Glines
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Books I'm Currently Reading:
Game Of Thrones: A Storm Of Swords - George R.R. Martin
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

Favorite Quote From A Book I Read In May

"Happiness is not a possession to be prized, it is a quality of thought, a state of mind."
— Daphne du Maurier (Rebecca)


June TBR & Things I'm Excited For!

I recently added plenty of new titles in my e-reader and I'm ecstatic to read all of them!


City Of Ashes - Cassandra Clare
Just One Year - Gayle Foreman
Attachments - Rainbow Rowell
Cinder - Marissa Meyer
Amy & Rogers Epic Detour - Morgan Matson
Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi
Everyday - David Levithan
Where the Stars Still Shine - Trish Doller

Movies:

Of course, fans of The Fault In Our stars(including me), are all excited to see the movie on June 6! I simply cannot contain my excitement and I've been recommending the book to my friends non-stop. I'm also happy to see my favorite book bloggers feature their interview with John Green, movie stills, newspaper articles and basically everything about the upcoming movie!



2 comments:

  1. South of the Border (Murakami) and Rebecca (du Maurier) are among my most favorite books! Especially the latter, so very few people know it! I'd love to hear what you think :)

    - Apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Apple! I agree, not a lot of people know the novel Rebecca. But you know what, I'm so glad I found this gem through my older brother, who is an English lit major. I saw the book on his bookshelf and I’m glad that I decided to pick it up; I shall not hesitate to recommend it to others. Rebecca is one of the most frustrating, suspenseful, thought provoking books I've ever read in my entire life. And I love it. I felt so strongly towards Mrs. de Winter(the second). Her quiet and reserved nature - the way she presented herself in public, her attitude whenever she's alone with Maxim, the assuming thoughts swirling inside her head - gets to me; possibly because her disposition prior to the "tragedy", often reminds me of myself. Although, I think her biggest flaw would be her passive and uncritical nature towards her husband. My favorite aspects of the novel are the way du Maurier created this incredibly tense atmosphere, which had me gripped from the beginning. The way he described Manderly was so real and exquisitely beautiful. And the juxtaposition between the past and present Mrs de Winters. Overall, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel and I can see why this is one of your most favorite books. :)

      South of the Border has now become my most favorite Murakami novel. Initially, it was Norweigian Wood, which I think bears resemblance to South. I love its simplicity and melancholic story and I’d keep thinking about it long after I’d put the book down. Seriously, I had a book hangover after I finished it. haha By the way, it's nice to know someone who likes the book as I do!

      How about you? What aspects of the novels do you like the most? :)

      Delete