Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Nostalgia

Feeling nostalgic today so I decided to post photos of my favorite things, hobbies and interests when I was a kid. If you're a 90's kid like me, you'll surely recognize some, if not all, of these! Growing up, I pretty much spent my time doing whatever I wanted - watching anime/cartoons, reading mangas and fanfiction, playing video games, etc - and my parents gave us freedom to do so. I also consider myself lucky because I had the privilege to play the typical Filipino games with my siblings or cousins and sometimes neighbors(some of them are called "taguan", "patintero", "tumbang preso") which are slowly becoming unpopular due to the rise of numerous computer and iphone/ipad games the kids these days prefer. So, let's proceed!

1. Final Fantasy 8 - By far, the most memorable and special Playstation 1 game for me! My addiction for RPG(Role Playing Game) started with this one. The storyline, characters, quality, animations, everything's perfect! Other RPG games that I was highly addicted to are Legend of Dragoons, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Lunar 1 & 2, Breath of Fire. I know there many new games which have better quality and game experience but for me, nothing beats the old games from PS1.

2. Pokemon Games - Who isn't familiar with the line "Pokemon, gotta catch em' all"? If you're like me and grew up in the late 90s/early 2000, you will remember Pokemon with fond memories. Back when Gameboy console was all the rage, thousands of youngsters from all over the world got hooked to this game which started with the anime. I remember fighting with my brother on who's turn is it gonna be to play the Gameboy and I always end up crying just so I could gain the favor. (Being the youngest, I'm spoiled like that haha)

3. Fushigi Yuugi - When online anime streaming wasn't popular yet, we relied on local television to satisfy our anime addiction. Everyday at  the same time, my siblings and I would patiently wait for our favorite animes to air on AXN channel like Slam Dunk, Vandread, Boys Be, Sailor Moon, Samurai X, and many more. I even memorized some of their Japanese theme songs even though I do not understand the lyrics lol

4. Saiunkoku Monogatari - This one I finished via online streaming and as they say, the rest is history. This has a great story and the main character, Kou Shuurei, is not your typical damsel in distress. After I finished watching this, I became obsessed with searching for more  animes and watching them online. :)




5. Nsync & Backstreet Boys - These 2 are the most popular boy band during the 90s. I remember my sister  and I cutting out photos of them from newspapers and magazines and we would post them in our closet and rooms! My favorite from Nsync is Justin Timberlake whilst Nick Carter from Backstreet Boys.

6. Dexter's Laboratory (D. D.) - "Ooooooo, what does this button do?" Dee Dee's famous catch phrase! She is one of my absolute favorite characters when I was little. She usually, in one way or another, sabotages Dexter's experiments and destroys his laboratory in every episode, even though she seems to show care for her bother. Other cartoons I enjoyed are Cow and Chicken, The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo and Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, Darla.

7. Disney Movies - I love love watching these until now. My favorite Disney character is Princess Belle from the movie Beauty and the Beast. 


8. Playstation 1 - I probably spent a big chunk of  my childhood playing with this Console. RPG games took a lot of time what with all the leveling up, discovering new places and weapons, talking to people, etc. which are all necessary to complete the game.

9. Taguan or Hide and Seek - This is one of the physical games that I enjoy playing with my siblings and cousins when I was a kid. It is the Tagalog version of Hide and Seek which is a favorite of mine especially during brown-outs. 




10. Clueless, The Parent Trap, Matilda  and Little Rascals - my four most favorite movies which were released during the 90s. I remember watching them over and over again back then.


So there, these are just some of the things my childhood consists of. If you noticed, they involve a lot of geeky stuff and I wouldn't have them any other way. :)


What about you? What memories do you remember fondly from childhood? :)




1 comment:

  1. OMG old school Justin Timberlake! and I (not so) secretly LOVE Clueless.

    ReplyDelete