Day 18 of The October Daily Scents
Today's prompt got me thinking for quite a while since there are so many scents that popped into my head, which are all quite special to me. In the end, I decided to stick with the ones which has made the longest impression on me. The power of smell is truly powerful as it can unlock forgotten memories, hit you with waves of nostalgia, trigger emotional memories since smell and memory are closely linked, all of which are backed up by science.
1. Pine trees in Baguio City
- Baguio City is a popular destination, for both the local and international traveler, in the Philippines and it is called "The Summer Capital of the Philippines". It is a highland retreat in the Northern part of the Philippines its crisp cold climate, foggy hills, pine trees, panoramic views and lovely flowers. Since I was a kid, we would visit the place every year with my whole family; back then we were still complete, all eight of us siblings plus our parents. There are so many fond memories in that special place and the lovely scent of pine trees in the cool air triggers those happy moments with my family - lovely conversations by the fireplace, horseback riding, strawberry picking, sleeping in a bedroom bundled up together, picnics and camping, sightseeing, visiting cozy restaurants and coffee shops, and other leisure activities. Nowadays, we never go out on trips as a whole since most of my siblings have already moved away with their own family but this particular scent brings forth a rush of vivid memories from those times, making them more intense.
2. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue
- This is my signature scent, and it never failed on any occasion, day or night, summer or cold months. It reminds me of my early teens when mom bought me a bottle for my birthday and I instantly fell inlove with it. It's such a pleasant, citrusy, fresh scent and the name comes in my favorite color too!
3. Baby-back ribs
- My mom cooks the best ribs in the world(I swear!), it rivals the ribs of famous restaurants like Rack's and Chili's. She has perfected the recipe with years of studying and passion for cooking. Whenever my mom cooks this - usually during special occasions like Christmas, birthdays and reunions - the delicious aroma would fill the entire house and surely it is enough to whet your appetite.